
I've felt like beating my head on my desk as I've been working on this project. First off, it's not going as quickly as I'd like it to, because 1) things happen in life (i.e. playing with my dog, being tired, hanging out with friends, work) and since I'm not on a deadline for this, I'm not pushing myself as hard as I could and B) for some reason, I feel comfortable working on this only either at night (say, past 10) in my apartment, or during brief periods while having lunch at La Tea Room. I don't know why the setting or time makes any difference, but it does. A few years ago I was foolheartedly trying to write a novel. I could only work on it after 1 a.m. at a Steak n' Shake while drinking coffee. When that laptop died, the novel (about 40,000 words of it, at least) died with it, even though I had both a backup novel file and another computer.
Wow, that was a long and boring tangent/explaination.
Anyway, as I mentioned in my last post, I'm tackling this painting by first creating path, which, in turn, create blocked-in shapes. I think paint the shapes, giving it a flat, graphic look with some depth. You can see in this stage the basic shapes that have yet to be further painted.
I'm constantly asking myself why I chose to do this. It's a pain in the ass to do. And I'm not going to lie, I thought about giving it up a few days ago. But last night (well, Friday night, as it's now Sunday morning) I was talking to an illustrator at a bar during a party. I mentioned this painting, and the idea of doing the stereotypes of all the different kids you'd find at schools. He gave me the encouragement to keep going.
I'm going to bed now. I'll work on this more tomorrow.
No comments:
Post a Comment