Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Character evolution: The Bully


I started drawing this character this morning during my office's ritual Tuesday meeting. The character had the same basic shape, but he started out as a body-builder ape. I doodled the guy on several pages of notes, playing with his features. (I'm sorry, but I don't have any of the sketches handy). By the time I went to lunch the ape body builder had become this cigar-chomping ruffian. About an hour or so later, while at work, I started sketching him again, but this time as a school-yard bully terrorizing some poor kid for his lunch money. The first sketch I did was on my computer – which promptly crashed before I could save it. So I fished out my sketchbook and the colored pencils and did this final sketch. I'm still torn over whether the bully should have the darkened eyes or not.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm quite amused how Darwinism played a role in this sketch. In the course of about 6 hours a doodle of some basic shapes went from being an ape and evolved into a human bully.

No comments: