
I've had this image in my head since I woke up Saturday morning. I did a pre-preliminary sketch of a bee, started doing a sketch of the guy, but, as often happens during weekends, things got in the way. Well, procrastination got in the way. Yeah, I know, I have to get my ass in gear if I'm going to build a marketable portfolio. But something else got in the way of my going forward with this image: I didn't have a good idea where exactly it was going.
As often happens, I get an idea in my head, and it gets me all excited. But usually that idea is somewhat vague. Like this image, for instance: I knew I wanted a businessman with a briefcase standing on a street corner waiting for a bus, and have a giant bee descending on him from above. But saying it is easier than drawing it. Did I want the image to be a long shot, from a distance, or something up close? Was the man standing by a brick wall, by an ally, on an open street? What perspective was I going to use? The smart thing to do would have been to head to my sketchbook first. But, I didn't. Instead, I tried jumping, unsuccessfully, into the actual drawing. All I got was a lot of frustration and a wasted piece of good bristol board.
This image is one of several I've been building up, sort of weird, surreal images. So far, only, only two have been painted; the rest reside only in my sketchbooks. I don't know what I'll do with them.
No comments:
Post a Comment