Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Realism


I've lately been doing a lot of drawings where I was focusing more on shapes and designs, things that weren't by any stretch realistic. So, I felt I had to swing the pendulum the other way. This sketch isn't fancy; it was taken from a stock photos catalogue. And while I started it over the weekend, with a bit of work on it Tuesday night, it really only took me less than an hour to draw. I'd doodle on it here and there in between other drawings and whatnot.

I don't think I'm very good at realism. I'm definitely not that skilled when it comes to folds in clothes. I remember Cincinnati artist Jerry Dowling saying he loved to do clothed human figure drawing when he was in art school. Maybe I became a cartoonist because I don't have to be exact in my drawings.

No comments: