Irony, thou art a cruel, heartless bitch.
I was listening to a Patton Oswalt CD, and he had a joke about irony. He said that everyone in their lives has a moment of irony, such as, when he was in high school, people called him a comedian for screwing around in class, and lo and behold, that's what he does as an adult.
I know my moment of recent irony. I was chatting with Jim Borgman, the cartoonist at the Enquirer, and as he was looking through some of my recent work, he told me he didn't know how I had the energy or drive to draw during my free time. He looks at drawing at home as something he a) doesn't have the energy to do, since it's work, and b) he shouldn't be drawing or doodling his own stuff for fun, because he feels he should be doing drawing for work. Only recently have I experienced what he was talking about.
Since I've started freelancing, I haven't been drawing any of my own stuff. My sketchbook goes unused, because, in my rational reasoning, I shouldn't be doodling when I have actual drawings to do. And since I'm doing those drawings for which I'm getting paid after I get home from work ... well, I really don't want to get home from work and go straight to work.
So, what am I saying? Basically, I'm saying I need to get off my ass and start drawing, both for work and for fun. Here's a little doodle I did last night. Nothing spectacular, but I saw a small guy with a large, tank-like vaccum cleaner that he wore on his back. I liked the visual look of it. Now, if I can get off my ass and develop it further, he might make a fun character.
No comments:
Post a Comment